Sunday 18 November 2012

Cuisines

I was thinking a few days ago about cuisines as my boyfriend and I decided to treat ourselves to a mid-week dinner out but the questions always the same...where do we go, what do we feel like?

On this occasion, we were both thinking the same thing...Indian and it got me thinking about my relationship with different cuisines. Indian, for example, is my comfort food. I know that I don't even need to worry about the gluten aspect as they use very little, if any gluten in Indian cooking. I also like the flavours and the fact that there is a dish for whatever "spice mood" your in.

The Indian restaurant we went to was London Bridge Tandoori and it was delicious but it got me wondering, how many other cuisines there are in the world that are not as established as Indian or Chinese that we don't explore.

If I could, my exploration would include travel round the world but that is simply out of my reach for the moment so the next best thing is a cuisine exploration in the kitchen or in restaurants.

I have so far explored Indian (obviously), Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, Mexican, Thai, British, Ethiopian, Jamaican, Spanish. Most of these explorations have happened at Brick Lane market on a Sunday. I have to say, if you have never been, you should go, not only are there a multitude of food stalls there are also plenty of gift stalls and you can always pick up something unique.

Back to the food, cuisine exploration is a must for me but what about you? What cuisines have you eaten? Cuisines aren't just about the food but they are a journey into a different culture so I will continue my journey and let you know where I end up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment