Thursday 6 September 2012

Finally the day has arrived...

Today is the day that my running partner and I go the Paralympics. I am so excited to see the amazing athletes who are an inspiration. Some people are saying we shouldn't treat the Paralympians any different to the Olympians but I think that is quite short-sighted. As someone said to me a few days ago, the Paralympians are just a few seconds behind the Olympians, training as hard as the Olympians despite having to overcome lots of hurdles on their way to the Paralympics.

The Paralympians could have turned around and said 'I've had enough happen in my life that I don't want the stress and pressure of the Paralympics particularly on home turf' but they didn't. So maybe the Paralympics should be seen as Channel 4 are presenting it as an Olympics for superhumans because they truly are incredible human beings.

I always hated sport at school. I was never any good and always picked to be in the team playing the 1st team so of course we always lost. Dance, I was no good at that as I had no timing or coordination. Tennis, I got demoted to the low density balls. Hockey... I just ended up being tackled and giving the ball away every time. Netball,Rounders, Athletics... the list goes on. Every year I would get the same grade and comments: 'C- She tries hard and shows some signs of improvement.' Year after year, I swear they photocopied the same comments into my report so as any child would I became demotivated and stopped trying which was when I won the rounders improvement shield. Oh the irony!

The only event at school I enjoyed was Sports Day when I was House Captain as I didn't actually have to participate. My role was supporting the house and keeping up a good moral. However, I may jest about my school days but in reality they are nothing to what some people go through and I'm going to see some of those people on the athletics track today, winning Paralympic medals for their country.

If that's not inspiring I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment