Sunday 2 September 2012

Fire, Flames and Funrides

I have to admit that I slightly failed in my mission this weekend. I had the romantic notion of my inaugural run in the beautiful Sussex countryside with only sheep and cows as viewers of my first foray into exercise. It was all going well, both my running partner and I had our gym kits and were discussing our run until he realised he had left his trainers behind. Unfortunately, being a outsider I really did need my running guide. I feel awful to have let myself and you all down but I knew this running thing was never going to be easy so I made a point of wearing my trainers in and now they are ready...

Anyway enough of the trainers. I don't want to bore you all senseless with the travels of my trainers but instead I wanted to share my Sussex weekend with you. My running partner lives in Sussex so we went back to see his family and that weekend happily coincided with his local town's carnival. I was told that the carnival would be a spectacle that I had never seen before but having been to carnvial's before I took this with a pinch of salt. How wrong I was...

I didn't realise Sussex was so full of pyromaniacs! Hailing from Oxfordshire all our carnvials are classic cars and floats but this carnival was something to behold with a prayer from the local reverend and all local bonfire socieities parading through the town under their crests with flaming torches. Any Health and Safety nut's worst nightmare particularly when a car drove over a flaming torch!


It was a site that sent shivers down my spine as I felt transported back to a bygone age. It was something that I will never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment